In the early 1800’s a group of families immigrated from the Guernsey Isle in the English Channel to America and ended their journey in The Village of Cambridge. This established the creation of what is now Guernsey County.
In 1902, the descendants of this original group of immigrants founded The Guernsey Building and Loan Company. In the 1920’s the bank moved to downtown Cambridge, Ohio and changed its name to the Guernsey Savings and Loan. Incorporated as a mutual company, it was owned by the depositors who voted each year at the annual meeting to elect directors who appointed officers to operate the company. The primary business of The Guernsey Savings and Loan Company was to provide money for the building, buying and improving of people’s homes in the area. Loans were also made for business and commercial buildings and the company pioneered the college loan program in southeastern Ohio.
In the mid 1980’s, the bank changed its name from The Guernsey Savings and Loan Company to The Guernsey Savings Bank and maintained a mutual savings and loan charter. Then, in late 1992, the bank converted to a federally chartered mutual savings bank, changing its name to The Guernsey Bank, a federal savings bank.
In March 1993, the bank was purchased by First Colony Bancshares and renamed The Guernsey Bank.
In October 1999, The Guernsey Bank built a branch in Worthington, Ohio extending the reach of the institution to the Columbus area. In June 2002, the Guernsey Bank relocated its headquarters to that same Worthington, Ohio branch and sold the remaining five branches located in eastern Ohio to Peoples Bank.
Today, The Guernsey Bank remains closely held in its ownership with a State of Ohio commercial bank charter. The Guernsey Bank is an FDIC insured full service financial institution offering a complete line of personal and commercial deposit and loans services.